I was tagged by Angella last week to participate in a meme that was started by HerBadMother (aka Catherine).
Here’s the deal:
Her Bad Mother’s post is the departure lounge, "I'm going to link to a couple of other mom bloggers here in Canada, and to a couple of mom bloggers from other countries around the world, and they’ll write their posts, sharing 5 things that they love (or maybe what they don’t so much love - this playground doesn’t force conformity) about being a mom, and then they’ll tag a few more bloggers from their own country and from other countries, and so on. And you’re more than welcome to join: just write a post of your own (5 things that you love about being a mom) and find someone to link to and tag - someone from your own country, if you like, but definitely someone from another country (Google is a good resource if you don’t know any; Google any country name and ‘mom’ in their blog search function) (be sure to let them know that you’ve tagged them!) - and link back here and leave a comment and we’ll add you to the ‘itinerary,’ which David will compile and post and update as the tour proceeds.”
I think you all know that I love being a mom, that’s nothing new. But as the kids change and grow, I think the specific things I love change too. So here we go, hopefully I can be original, there have been many, many posts about this done already. Without further ado, here is what makes my heart smile on a daily basis.
1. I adore making my kids laugh. You know, really laugh, those deep belly giggles, the ones where they get the hiccups after. I LOVE that (not the hiccups, the belly laughs). The part hasn’t changed yet, from the day they could first laugh to now, belly laughs make my heart sing.
2. I have loved watching them achieve each new milestone in their lives, the first step, the first word, the first ride on their bike without training wheels. Each one is momentous, each one makes my heart swell with pride at what they can and will achieve in their lives.
3. The bond that has developed between my boys has been by far, one of the most enjoyable aspects to watch as they grow up. They play for hours upon hours without killing each other, which I personally, think is a miracle straight from the big man upstairs himself. Even more importantly, they seem to actually enjoy playing together. Sometimes I pinch myself just to make sure I am not dreaming. This week, for example, Jack is off school for Easter break add that to the fact that crusty old man winter seems to have finally packed his smelly bags and headed elsewhere, I have barely seen them. The sandbox is open and their imaginations are soaring. Together. It just plain and simply warms my heart.
4. Their unquenchable thirst for knowledge is so much fun. Jack especially, has a need to know more about just about anything and I, as a self proclaimed know it all, like to share my vast knowledge of all topics. Thankfully we also frequent the local library and supplement with actual facts. Their memories and what they can comprehend amazes me daily and makes me look forward to the future men they will become.
5. But the most important reason I love being a mommy, is that life is so much fuller, has so much more meaning because I am a mom. My boys, they are my reason for being. While I understand why some people choose not to have kids, for me, that was never a choice. I live to be a mother. Now if I could just live up to my expectations on being a good mother... but that’s another post altogether.
And by permission I am tagging the following:
Stacie, BeachMama and Cheryl, Kami and Amy and if you want to play, please do!