Saturday, April 16, 2011

I Must Read

My Addiction


I have always loved to read but I took a hiatus when the boys were little, you know, due to the lack of time thing. Oh and the fact that when I read I have a tendency to block out all other noise or activity going on around me. A bomb could go off and I would just keep on reading thinking I'll check that out when I finish this chapter.


Not really a good scenario when you have little kids running around, particularly one that knocks his own teeth out.


However, since they are now at an age where they are less likely to stick their finger in a light socket, I have taken my habit to a whole new level.


I devour books. On vacation last month, I finished the last book in the Harry Potter Series (Book 7 is BIG - caused grief with suitcase weights, let me tell you) and since I had run out of books, borrowed my mom's book.


I read Water for Elephants in 2 days.


I could barely put it down to eat and mix myself another drink.


I am pretty excited to see the movie which comes out later this month (Reese Witherspoon, yay!).


Now that was a good book. I can devour a mediocre book in 4-5 days tops.


I don't buy books. I am a huge fan of the library. Free and ample selection. I am all about that. I rarely re-read a book and we have a lack of storage issue in our house. Hence, no books.


Despite this we have boxes of books cluttering up our one storage space. Clearly I did not implement the no buying book policy soon enough.


When we returned from vacation I returned the last Harry Potter book (I really enjoyed the series and look forward to watching the movies) and the Jodi Piccoult book (I forget which one now) that had travelled to Florida with us and neglected to check out my usual 3-4 books.


This past week I was going into withdrawal.


I would sit down on the couch after supper with a cup of tea and go, now what?


I was reading the sale flyers in desperation.


It was bad.


Today, I visited my local library got a stack of completely new to me authors.


I am half way through the first book already.


To say I love reading would be kind of an understatement. It's practically like breathing to me.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm with you. Reading is right up there with breathing, feeding my children and Friday night Coca Cola's in my books. Even when it's midnight and I'm exhausted I need to squeak in a few minutes of reading, it helps me relax, as if my brain finally lets the tension out. It's weird, but it's totally how it works.

Glad you found some new authors and some time for you :)

Cheryl said...

oh how I miss reading....glad you have found it again, nothing like a great book you can't put down.
I have that Jodi Picoult book on my nightstand...the last time I read an entire book was the summer of 2009 as I was 6 months preggo, sat on our deck one warm summer bug free evening and devoured the book...funny how you remember those types of moments alone with a great read.
Keep us posted on what you are reading, I love hearing about great books!

Lori said...

I'm an avid reader too. there is ALWAYS a book on my nightstand. I pretty much can't fall asleep until I've read at least once chapter. We buy books since we swap them with other family members

nicole said...

Me too! I am always looking for my next book. I'm not reading as much lately because we are busy and I am on the computer too much and so on, but I still love books. I also use the library most of the time. I used to trade books on paperbackswap.com but got tired of doing it. Not enough books that I wanted. The library and borrowing from friends works for me. Happy reading!

Cammie said...

To say I love reading would be kind of an understatement. It's practically like breathing to me.

yes, that exactly. I am the same way. You should check into Diane Chamberlain and Kristin Hannah. Two of my new faves!

Wish I could say I dont but them.....Im a book hoarder. big time

Anonymous said...

I love to read as well, always have done ever since I was a little girl. I'm so glad that my mum read me book after book after book, and encouraged me to read all kinds of books. It's exciting to find new authors, I love it!

Just wish I had more time to read, like the "good old days". I remember spending a whole day reading a book. Wow, how great would that be?!

Angella said...

I am the same when I read! I block out the entire world.

I've gotten back into reading, but it's on hold for tax season. I'll be sure to request Water for Elephants from the library.

If you want another good read - the Hunger Games trilogy was devoured by yours truly over Christmas.

Unknown said...

Have you read The Help yet? You should. I don't read a lot of books right now and I liked that one a lot!

Glad you're enjoying reading again! :D

Danish khan said...

Reading is not only a fun but it also makes a man ready. Really nice blog.

Rachel said...

Oh, how I love to read! I'm still in the little kid stage and I look forward to the day when I can devour books again without neglecting my children!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I just read Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult and it was FABULOUS.