Sunday, January 24, 2010

No Players in This House

It's no secret that we are Canadian, here at the Khlopchyk house. And it's also no secret that Canada equals hockey. My parents hail from a small town in Saskatchewan known as Canada's hockey factory having produced at least six NHL hockey players (Wendel Clark, Kerry Clark and Barry Melrose to name a few).

Playing hockey is the norm for boys and many girls here in Saskatchewan. In fact, I would venture to guess that the majority of boys play and that number of girls playing is increasing exponentially by the year.

With a house full of boys, you might think that we live at the rink. But we don't. In fact, until last weekend, we hadn't set foot in a rink since sometime during the winter of 2007/08.

You may or may not know that I spent a good deal of my teen years on figure skates. I loved it. I vowed that while my kids did not have to follow in my footsteps (blade tracings?), they would, as proud Canadians, know how to skate.

We started off well with Jack, enrolling him in skating lessons during his Kindergarten year. Then we slacked off so much so that Kamden, who is halfway through Kindergarten, has not really been on skates, unless you count the three times when he was three. I tend not to.

This winter, while it has had it's cold spells (do the words -952 ring a bell from last winter's rants?), has been unseasonably warm since January hit. We don't get the kind of winter where we can enjoy the activities you tend to associate with winter, sledding, skiing and skating, you know on account of liking out limbs enough not to want to freeze them off regularly. While the weather was warm (hello blizzard of epic proportions today!) we got inspired and got the kids suited up with some second hand skates and hit our local outdoor rink.

Skater boys

('twas night and my nighttime camera skills, well, I don't need to tell you, the quality of this photo pretty much says it all, but the subjects are sure handsome, in my bias opinion)

Today, we had plans to meet some family at an indoor rink but given that it snowed buckets in a blizzard like we haven't yet seen this winter, we stayed home. Shoveling the driveway is a fun activity too (not for me, I stayed in).

The kids really enjoyed renewing their skating skills and we won't talk about how I almost bit the rhubarb when I tried to show them a simple spin. Suffice it to say I am not 16 anymore. We plan on hitting the indoor rink more often this winter and if the Quasi Arctic stays away a bit longer we might even hit the outdoor one again too.

While I doubt either one of my boys will play hockey (Jay never did either), I still vow that they will be able to hold their own when they strap on the old blades. It's just the Canadian way, eh.

(Has anyone missed my infamous winter rants? Without the ridiculous weather, I have nothing to complain, I mean, write about)

13 comments:

Kami said...

First, I have to admit that I do not know even one of those hockey players you mentioned. Sorry. I am sitting here watching good old American football, though! LOL
Second, Kamden's face in that pic? Is priceless. It says: "I'm cold. I'm about to fall on my bum. Can we get on with it? Knock off the photo session already!"
LOL. Love it!

Cheryl said...

no hockey in this family either...but good to get the boys on skates! How cute are they!!!!!! I want to see you on your white skates!!!!

R Royal Family said...

I am having major mommy guilt about Logans lack of learning any new skill when comparing him to his older sister. When we were at the school the other night there were kids on the out door rink and he said, "mommy look at those kids on that thing" my boy did not even know that that thing was a hocky rink (hangs head) we have made the vow also to do more skating also, after we go snorkling of course ;-)

Kristin said...

Hurrah for skating! I think it is a definite must for all Canadians, I'm working with my boys, I think one of these years you might have to pass a skating test to cross the border and we are going to pass if I have to tie ice skates a million times (that is the curse of skating) there should be lessons on that alone, my fingers hurt thinking about it.

Kristin said...

I haven't been skating in a long time, I used to more as a kid, we had a pond out back and it was so fun to skate on. Skating at the local rink was also a fun thing to do as teens.
Now I think I would probably hurt my slef if I tried skating!

Lori said...

glad your boys enjoyed skating. even if they aren't going to be the next big thing on the rink

Loukia said...

Hi Kami!
We put my 4 year old on skates for the first time ever this weekend! I was so proud of him. Being Canadian, skating in an outdoor rink during the winter months is almost unavoidable, you know? It was so cute... he kept falling down, 2 seconds after he stood up... then he'd fall down again! We signed him up for skating lessons so he'll go next week, too. :) I don't really want him to play hockey, but he did buy a stick over the weekend, too - all of a sudden, he likes hockey! ;)

Angella said...

We're not doing hockey either - it's such a HUGE commitment.

My boys have ben learning to skate as well - we have to have SOMETHING to do in the winter. :)

Debbie said...

We most likely won't do hockey either. It's not the time commitment (as we're perfectly willing to get them involved in other things like that), but the money, and the parental attitudes. I work with a formed Minor Hockey Association president and a current league VP. The stories I hear about the parents are embarrasing. We're not convinced we want to get involved in that culture. :::off soapbox now:::

TheFitHousewife said...

We have yet to dive into the skating world. I feel so bad not introducing my boys to skating yet. It's just so hard with a 4 year old, 2 1/2 year old, and 17 month old! I'm hoping next winter? That's what I always say.

Unknown said...

LOL...
i love watching hockey and I sure do not know how the hell they skate around like that...cause as you put it, I'd bite the rhubarb more than once..

Unknown said...

You know it's going to get crazy cold now, right? hee hee.

Love their skating outfits! Those boys are adorable girl!

mamatucci said...

winter sucks. I cannot get into it at all not one bit. Ok that is my rant! But your boys sure do look super cute!