Friday, January 15, 2010

We Love Superheros

My boys, in the last year or so, have become obsessed with all things superhero. To me, that is part of growing up boy. I have never considered otherwise. They fight evil. They right wrongs. They bring justice to the galaxy. To me, it is teaching them about the world but in a way that is fun and right up their testosterone alley.

We have not let our kids watch any of the blockbuster superhero movies. Jay and I watched a bit of one of the Transformer movies and felt it was a bit too violent for our boys. Someday I am sure they will watch them but for now, they are quite content with TeleToon Retro's reruns of Spiderman, Batman, Transformers and Justice League.

Boy Power



The point is that I cannot imagine life in our house without superheros. My boys play together for hours with their action figures. And Kamden and his buddy, Logan, would be lost without their PowerRanger alter egos. That reminds me of when they were three and they were going to be Buzz Lightyear when they grew up. That's the thing, it's part of them. I can't imagine squashing that interest. Rather, we talk about what is real and what isn't. It works for us.

Today, I am talking about Superheros over at Canada Moms Blog. Swing by and check it out, if you are interested.

16 comments:

mamatucci said...

i wish matteo would be a superhero most days he want to be a bunny

Cheryl said...

Cole loves superheroes....but I have to play them with him.....so nice that your boys are close in age and can play together...maybe the twins will be like that!!!
Cole told me I was wonderwoman....at least he thinks I'm skinny and powerful!

Lori said...

my boys aren't into superheros yet, but I agree that it is a major part of boys just growing up as boys.

BeachMama said...

So many superheroes here too.

Ashley said...

Those are some fabulous eyes he's sportin'. We love superheros too, but Bethany thinks she's either "Super Bethany" or a Wonderpet. Now, how to break it to her that she's not a hamster...

TheFitHousewife said...

Sounds like a typical "boy" thing to be into. My boys aren't into that quite yet but I'm sure it will come soon!

Hannah said...

I can so relate to this! I can't imagine my life, or our home, without lots and LOTS of superheroes. I will be sad when my boys are finally "too old" for them.

Unknown said...

My boys have never been into super heroes that much. Maybe it's still coming, huh?

It's funny, Melanie from Adventures of a Reluctant Housewife also kinda posted about them!

Angella said...

My boys are the same. But you knew that. :)

I'm so behind on CMB (Posting AND reading)...

Anonymous said...

We haven't let the boys watch the live-action movies yet, either. Maybe in a few more years. They can be very violent.

It's all about superheroes and video games over here. My kids just can't wait for Fridays so they can play DS.

Kami said...

I love this picture of Kamden! What a cutie!

Karen MEG said...

Boys and their superheroes ... I guess with the market for the live action superhero movies, they never do really grow out of them, do they?!!

R Royal Family said...

you know where I stand on this ;-) Think of how many laughs we have got from their superhero facination. To infinity and beyond!

Debbie said...

Our 4-year old (and therefore the 2-year old) LOVES Spiderman, X-Men, etc. And has never seen them on TV, or in a comic, or anything. The most he's seen is a Batman-Scooby Doo video. I don't know where he picked it up, but he's all about the superheros too.

It's fun, because I now get to pretend I'm Catwoman, or Storm or something. Ha!

Unknown said...

and it's still a great photo even WITH your superheroes left uncropped.

KATE said...

We LOVE Superheros! :) hey, long time no talk! Glad your family seems to be doing well :)