Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Hair, Hair, it's all about the hair

Last March, I decided that I liked my hair, that I was going to keep it the way it is because clearly, based on past results, it was the best "look" I had going for me. And I have come a LONG way, trust me (click if you need a good laugh).

Recently, thanks to my long-time stylist, I discovered this Redken product and I am loving it. I am not really a salon product kind of girl because I find that they work worse than drug store brands and I have to leave behind my first born as payment. This one, however, lives up to the $20 per bottle cost.

Last week, Amy challenged her readers to take a photo, right out of the shower. Here's me after my hair air dried. Brace yourselves.

No makeup either proven by the glowing orb that plants itself in the middle of my forehead.

Now to get the after shot. Yesterday, Jay and I had a date night out (Thanks Candace for watching the boys) so I set up the self timer and attempted to get one without a flash. Someday I am going to conquer the manual settings, clearly based on the following, it just won't be today. Here's me after take 1,500:

My eyes, my eyes! Mental note: metal glasses and a flash creates retina burning images. Your welcome for that.
Try again. A little less glare but why oh why does the camera focus immediately when I push the button so that by the time I get posed it has focused perfectly...on the wall behind me...

Alright, not such a bad shot of the back of my hair. Now let's do the front - take 1,765.


Too dark. Use flash.

And then I spontaneously combusted. Too bad I didn't get a shot of that, huh?

But really, the hair doesn't look any different from the before picture and really it's not other than I ran the curling iron through my bangs to straighten them. Not that you can tell. And the floofed the back a bit and scrunched with hair spray.

And I put on buckets of makeup. Don't I look like a hoochie mama? No? Right, you can't even tell I spent 20 min trying to get pretty for my date. I look the same. *throws all her expensive Arbonne cosmetics out the door* I'll keep the skin care line though because it must be doing something if I look the same before and after.

Which brings me to the point of this post (yes, there is a point, alleluia!). My hair is getting boring after five years of the same old same old. I have a hankering to go back to this style that I had around ten (10? when did I get old enough to say that?) years ago. Excuse the quality of the photo, it has been riding around in Jay's wallet for ten years.


I have a hair appointment booked for Thursday. What do you all think?
PS Jay is silently wishing you all vote for it to stay long, just so you know.

23 comments:

Conor said...

I'm with Jay aha, I like the way your hair is now!

nicole said...

Something in between. I think the curly flatters you, but you could go a little shorter.

R Royal Family said...

Devin and Jay must belong to the long hair club. Devin does not want me to cut mine either, I like to kid him that I am sick of long hair and thinking of going for the buzzed look. Reminding him that he is in this for better or for worse lol ;-)

Maybe you could figure out the manual settings on your camera if you took that camera class...........you know you wanna :-P

anna-b-boknkers said...

You are a hoot. I vote on short, I think you would rock a modern bob!

Anonymous said...

hey kami, i vote for something in between short and long. but a little closer to short (if that makes ANY sense at all). i think a good current bob-ish style cut would totally rock on you. sorry jay :)

jackie

Angella said...

Stay long!

Short hair = crazy bedhead. Just sayin'...

Jen Wilson said...

STAY LONG!! I agree with Angella - bed head is WAY worse with short hair!

Aracely said...

I heart Redken and because my sister is a stylist I get a 5 finger discount... her 5 fingers, not mine. I vote grade 8, please!

teeni said...

HAHA! You are adorable! I think something between what you have now and the shorter hair - that way it is still not short but will be different enough that you are not bored with it and can grow back quick if you hate it. How's that for covering all the bases? LOL!

Cheryl said...

Kami you have awesome curly cute hair....
Keep it long..
I have cut mine several times and after a few months I long for long hair!
Go buy a new outfit instead!
Or go blonde! Change the color up a bit!

Ashley said...

Keep 'er long. Those curls short mean required stylin' time each day, long you can cheat your way through with minimal effort. It's why I keep mine long (even if my crazy stylist recently put 1 short layer all the way around my very long head of hairs. Causing a "bowl cut" effect if not carefully styled.)

Good luck with your choice, can't wait tp hear/see the results

Unknown said...

What's that saying, "I love you just the way you are..." Seriously, your hairstyle is how I recognize you, to me it means "Kami." Good, bad or indifferent that's how it is to me. But if you feel the need for a change, don't let this internet crazy lady change your mind... I like nicole's idea - something in between. : )

Misty said...

SHORT. I just went short as you know, and I LOVE it. I'm in in love with my short haired self. Short. Short. Short.

Alicia W. said...

I love the long curly hair on you! :)

Kami said...

Kami, I think you're adorable! Any length, or style! I go through the same thing with my hair...long, long, sick of it short, long. If you are feeling like you need to hack it (I get that, really) I like the look you had in the first link, when you cut it after Kamden was born. Just my 2 cents...Good luck!

Debbie said...

I'm going to sit smack dab o nthe fence and say a bit shorter than it is now, but not as short as the pic from Jay's wallet.

And, I may have to try that Redken product. My hair is generally frizz with the odd ringlet poking out. Not cool at all.

BeachMama said...

Hmmm... he is wanting your hair long, yet carries a ten year old photo of you in his wallet...hmmm...

As for the focus on the self timer, you need to have something to focus on when you set it. Once it is set it stays focused on that point until the trigger goes off, so if you are alone, then you need to put a stuffed animal or something where you are going to sit, set the timer then make the switch. If the boys are there, just get them to press the shutter button, J does it all the time for me ;).

p.s. I love your hair the way it is, but I don't have to wear it :)

Kristin said...

I must say your naked picture is gorgeous. So what I think is, hair grows back, so why not? Your hair is gorgeous though so it might be hard to say good-bye. If you need some encouragement, cut it for charity http://www.locksoflove.org/. You won't miss it as much if you know a little girl has it. - Just a thought...

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

All men like long hair. Really. They may SAY they like the short do, but really? Really they're hoping we grow it out again.

I like your long hair, but I know what it feels like to want a change. I am growing mine out again to cut OFF again so I can DONATE it AGAIN. It's a good excuse to have a drastic change. And my husband can't complain. Neither can my dad. :)

Unknown said...

I love the "too dark use flash" picture...just saying

Unknown said...

how about a cut in between the two...

that's my vote. :D

Karen MEG said...

You, my dear, are too gorgeous! And a hoot!
I like it long, with the curls. Although you do look cute with short, I think the longer is sexier, sassier...

Can't wait to see the after pic!

Alex Elliot said...

I think it looks great long. That being said, I truly feel that the nice thing about hair is that it grows back again.